Thursday, November 8

Interview - Michael Argyelan, Store Manager



1. How long have you worked at Crowley’s? Two years.

2. How did you first start working here? In the rigging department during the spring and fall for 4 seasons stepping and un-stepping masts. I wanted to work at Crowley’s full time so I applied for the Store Manager position when HR approached me with the opening.

3. Which departments have you worked in? Just Rigging and the Store.

4. What is the new news in that department? We have a BIG sale coming up in December…”The First Annual One Day Only Sale!” We thought that a sale just before the holidays might be good for our customers. After the sale we are going to do a little remodeling and install a counter, etc. See the above blog post for more information or click here for the web page.

5. What is your favorite time of year at Crowley’s? Spring…that’s when there are the most customers in the store and helping customers get what they need is what we are here to do and what we love to do.

6. How often do you go boating? 4 days a week or more when possible.

7. What kind of boat? My Frers 33 Mystify and any other boat I can get my hands on, power or otherwise.

8. Did you grow up boating? No, I started boating 12 years ago with my former in-laws. So, I’m thankful to them for that! My first sail was from Detroit to Chicago. After that I wanted to learn everything I could about boats, water, wind and equally as important, rum!

9. What is your favorite boating activity? Port-to-port sailboat racing and of course a good sunset sail with friends.

10. How many employees work in the store? Five.

11. Do they have job specific training? If so, how often do they go? We don’t have job specific training for everyone, but we do cross train with the different departments to help learn the needs of the boatyard and to gain experience with the products that we sell. Also, everyone in the store has boating experience.

12. What job specific training do you have? I have a 100 ton USCG Captain’s license. I am a boat owner and in my spare time I run a sailboat charter and lesson company Go Sailing Chicago. Umm…sorry for the shameless plug. So, nothing specific to my job, but lots of DIY experience with boats.

13. What certifications do you have? Other than my Captain’s license none really unless you want to count my CPR/First Aid certificates and my degree in Print Media from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago.

14. What is your number one recommendation to boat owners? Know where the water comes in and out of your boat. Every thru-hull, drain, in/outlet you name it. We need the water to float on, but it needs to stay where it belongs, out of the boat. When something goes wrong and the boat starts taking on water, you need to know where to look.

15. In your area of experience, what can a boat owner do to maintain their boat? Keep it clean. A clean boat is a safe boat. Not to mention problems can’t hide behind dirt if you are cleaning the boat inside and out regularly. This is how you will find leaks and cracks and anything else before it becomes a problem.

16. What is your number one money saving tip for boat owners? Make sure your bottom is clean to save fuel.

18. What is the toughest part of your job? Having to be at work while my boat is on the water.

19. When are you most likely to be found in the harbors? When I’m not at work.

20. What is your favorite winter activity? Snow skiing.

21. What is the best way to get a hold of you to ask a question? Email: mma@crowleys.com 

No comments: