Wednesday, April 9

Matt Markiewicz – Fiberglass Foreman - 20 questions



  1. How long have you worked at Crowley’s? Since 1990. 24 years and counting.
  2. How did you first start working here? I had just finished my time in the US Army and my brother asked me if I wanted to work in a boat yard. So I said yes. The rest is history.
  3. Which departments have you worked in? I’ve worked every department except Customer Service. I’m the Fiberglass Foreman most of the year and then in the fall I work with the Mechanics on the dock performing engine winterization and fuel and oil changes.
  4. What is your favorite time of year at Crowley’s? Summer! 
  5. How often do you go boating? Depends on the year. In a good year 3-4 times per week.
  6. What kind of boat? I own a pontoon boat plus I sail a fair amount too. I’ve completed 6 Mac races, lot’s of Wednesday night races, and numerous port to port races.
  7. Did you grow up boating? Yes. I grew up boating with a friend on his uncle’s power boat.
  8. What is your favorite boating activity? Kicking back with good friends and good drinks.
  9. How many Employees work in your department? 7
  10. How often do they go to training? Most training is in house. Every two years I go to Zodiac Inflatable Repair Training to maintain my certification.
  11. What job specific training do you have? Zodiac repairs, West Systems, and Awlgrip paint applications. If there’s an issue concerning fiberglass, Gelcoat, or paint, I’ve been trained one way or another.
  12. What certifications do you have?  Zodiac, West Systems, and Awlgrip. 
  13. What is your number one recommendation to boat owners? Keep it clean!
  14. In your area of expertise, what can a boat owner do to maintain their boat? Be sure you’re waxing it properly. If the gel coat starts to go bad, then you’re looking at a very costly fix. In the long run it’s more cost effective to maintain your vessel year round.
  15. What is the one complaint that you hear most often? Why is the season so short!
  16. What is your number one money saving tip for boat owners? I’ll say it again and again; maintain your boat. Wash, wax, clean, etc.
  17. What is the toughest part of your job? Grinding down the bottom of a boat.  
  18. When are you most likely to be found in the harbors? Wednesday nights.
  19. What is your favorite winter activity? Relaxing and watching football.
  20. What is the best way to get a hold of you to ask a question? Through Customer Service or just look for the guy in a paint suit around the fiberglass shop wearing a Bears or White Sox hat. 

No comments: